Student body voted 3-1
to change BHS namesake

  A statue of Simón Bolivar, a gift to the city of Bolivar from the people of Venezuela, was dedicated by Presidents Romulo Gallagos and Harry S. Truman on July 5, 1948 as part of a celebration on the 137th year of Venezuelan independence. In the fall of 1951, Bolivar HighSchool students voted by a margin of 3-1 to adopt “Liberator” as the school’s namesake in honor of the South American hero, according to an article in the the Bolivar Free Press.

bbIn voting, freshman, sophomore and junior classes were nearly unanimous in support of the name change. The senior class, however, was nearly unanimous in opposition to the change, preferring to retain "Tigers" as the BHS mascot.